fredag 27 januari 2012

Razor clam (shellfish) in white wine and cream sauce with shallots - garnished with smoky bacon ;) Mmmm

So today I decided it was time to have shellfish for lunch! It is a beautiful day here in London, sunny and not too cold, perfect time to cook something unique and tasty =)
I went to Fin & Flounders, a fishmonger on Broadway Market to get my usual fix, the "common carp" a sweet water fish I enjoy way too much sometimes... Two lovely guys working in there said that they didn't have it.. But they would fish it for me for tomorrow at a very good price, so I was not disappointed. Instead they gave me the good idea of trying something new for lunch: The Razor Shell (Ensis arcuatos) also called Razor clam which is a shellfish that looks like a stick. (Great!) The boys made sure they were alive before packing in 5 for me and sent me away home with a simple recipe. And this is how you do it ! :

1) First the secret ingredient: Bacon ! Yes, this adds to the smokiness of the rather sweet tasting Razor clam.
Give it a good 5 minutes in the pan
2) Chop and throw in shallot for another 5 minutes then put it away with the bacon on kitchen paper to drip off the excessive fat.
3) Now to the RAZOR clams - these babies were literally alive when I put them in the sizzling hot pan. I felt a bit like a sadist watching them fight for life until they slowly stopped moving and looked rather braised in 5 mins time.
4) Add the bacon and shallots back to the pan and pour some white wine over it. Wait some minutes until the 
the alcohol has evaporated. 
5) Stir in some double cream to bind all the amazing flavors going for this wonderful dish. And don't forget a splash of water (to taste), as the sauce is very rich at this point. Add salt + pepper. Give 5 minutes more;)
And this is the result ! Serve with Italian tagliatelle as a perfect base for this rather French dish. (Myself went for an organic wholemeal pasta;). White wine suits perfectly here (and I cheated with ice cold vegetable juice as it is very early in the day...). This dish has an immaculate flavor. Spot on. I strongly recommend it.
  Enjoyyy !!!




Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar